Four mainstays of the holiday season are underway during a year where unprecedented need is expected. Because of the generosity of the community and the support of area businesses, The Salvation Army is pleased to announce the following opportunities for the community to get involved with our efforts to rescue Christmas for those in need:
What is being offered:
- Coat Distribution
- Food Basket Sign Ups
- Angel Tree Program – available at local Walmart and Sam’s Club locations starting November 2
- Angel Tree Registry – online option for donating toys for area children
Key dates to remember:
- November 3 and 4 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. at The Salvation Army’s Corps Community Center at 2903 W. Nebraska Avenue, Peoria
- November 11 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and November 13 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at The Salvation Army Family Service Center at 417 NE Adams St., Peoria
Details on each program:
- Coats for Kids Program: Entering its 35th year, OSF HealthCare Children’s Hospital of Illinois, WEEK-TV and The Salvation Army are sponsoring this program aimed at ensuring no child goes without a winter coat. Over the past 34 years, 47,680 coats have been distributed to area children and adults thanks to the overwhelming support of the community. Key dates for this year:
- Now through December 4th, new or gently-used coats in children’s and young adults’ sizes are being collected throughout Central Illinois.
- Holiday Food Baskets: The Salvation Army partners with The Peoria Journal Star each year to distribute the food baskets the Peoria Journal Star raises money for and donates to help those families in need during the holiday season. Last year, PJS donated more than 4,700 food baskets.
- Two ways to sign up for a Food Basket:
- Sign up for a Food Basket in-person during Coat Distribution at one of the dates and times listed above
- Write a letter to the Peoria Journal Star including the following information:
- Your name
- Your address WITH APARTMENT NUMBER
- Phone number where you can be reached
- Total number of people in household
- MAIL LETTER TO: Christmas Baskets, Journal Star, One News Plaza, Peoria, IL 61643
Additional Holiday Programs:
- Angel Tree Program: All area Walmart and Sam’s Club locations will have Angel Tree Tags available beginning November 2. This program gives members of the community a way to get involved during the holidays by giving holiday joy and gifts to children in need who would otherwise go without for Christmas. This is a great way for families and groups to get involved in sharing with those who are less fortunate.
- Angel Tree Registry: This is another program The Salvation Army offers in conjunction with Walmart. For those people who don’t want to go to a store in person to donate toys this year, you can go to the Angel Tree Registry that has been set up to benefit area children and select a toy or toys you’d like to purchase for the Toy Distribution in December.
- Follow this link to access the Angel Tree Registry: walmart.com/registry/registryforgood
- On this site, you can scroll down the page to select the community you’d like to purchase toys for: Peoria, Pekin/Tazewell County, Canton/Fulton County or Bloomington.
For more information on the Angel Tree and Angel Tree Registry, contact Major Heath Sells at (309) 682-8886. For information on any of the other programs, contact Lisa Alexander, 655-7272.